The school year start is fast approaching and I am aiming to be extremely organised as we will be interrupted soon into it by the arrival of baby number 6. Everything needs to be sitting there, prepped and ready to go, so today’s thought processes revolve around Charlotte Mason style copywork and dictation for the oldest.
Depending on the age of the child, this year’s copywork and dictation will be a selection from the following:
- Alphabet and single letter handwriting practise
- Sentence dictation and copying for diary writing
- Bible verses and proverbs
- Westminster catechism for children
- Shorter Westminster catechism
- Character trait definitions and related “I wills” from the Character First programme
- George Washington’s laws of civility and behaviour
At least one of my children is excited by brand new fresh workbooks and the opportunity to fill them with beautiful work. I remember the feeling of being given a brand new pad in Primary School and ruling up those fresh unblemished pages. Surely everyone gets at least a glimmer of excitement out of new school books? Stationary shops? Organisational systems?? Hmmm, perhaps that’s just me!